Thursday, February 24, 2011

White Bean & Poblano Soft Taco

I had bought poblano peppers at the end of last summer and was looking for a recipe to use them in. I came across this recipe and it has become one of my favorite meals to make. It is light, refreshing, easy and fast. It also incorporates fresh cilantro which I love and hope that someday I can grow in my own garden. In addition, my husband will not only eat it but likes it!

I usually only use one can of beans and two poblano's so that I don't have a ton left over. I also do not have chipotle chili powder so I use cayenne powder instead. I believe I got the original recipe from Allrecipes.com but I don't remember.


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Two 15.5-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
  • 3 large poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
  • 1 large white onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tablespoon cumin, toasted
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried chipotle chile powder (optional)
  • One 8-ounce brick monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
  • 8 flour tortillas
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 8 sprigs cilantro

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add 2 cups white beans, the poblanos, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beans break apart, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the chicken broth, cumin, oregano and chipotle powder, then lower the heat to low. Add the remaining beans and 1 cup jack cheese; stir just until melted, about 5 minutes.
4. In a dry skillet or a warm oven, heat the tortillas. Fold the tortillas into quarters.
5. Top portions of the chili with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream, a cilantro sprig and a folded tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment