Sunday, January 23, 2011

Is Seitan Satan?

I finally built up the courage to make seitan. Seitan is commonly known as "fake" meat or meat of wheat. When I order it at restaurants it is delicious and has the same consistency as meat. I bought Wheat Gluten Flour mixed it with veggie broth, soy sauce and olive oil then crushed in some garlic. It was kind of a rubbery looking mess but the next step was to boil it. I boiled and simmered it and eventually cut it into "cutlets". It was easier to make than I thought and it was REALLY good. My husband even ate it in a stir fry. The problem was I liked it so much that I ate it four days in a row. I ended up with a headache and slight stomach ache the following day. I started wondering about wheat gluten and thinking about gluten intolerance. Oh great I thought I am wanting to cut down on eating meat because of the inhumane treatment, low quality of meat and factory farming and my perfect alternative is making me sick. Panic, depression, irritation prevailed. Then I realized that when I ate it once a week I was fine. Once again I was reminded MODERATION!

No comments:

Post a Comment