Friday, September 16, 2011

Recycled Crafts

Our homemade mouse from one of my old T-shirts and leftover curtain fabric.

When I was a kid I would find things I wanted to create in my favorite book - The Everything Book.
I would immediately pick an activity or project and ask my mom if we had this or that. My mom would tell me to make a list of supplies I needed and on our next trip to the store we would pick them up. In theory it sounded good but I wanted to make something NOW! I didn't want to wait or plan.   Back then  I had to get creative and look through drawers and closets for things that I could use.  I had to improvise and think outside the box. I am happy to say that after more than a few decades things haven't changed a bit! This is extremely beneficial since we live 75 miles from the nearest art supply store or big box store! Addyson and I have really enjoyed walking through town and visiting the local thrift store. It is a great place to buy arts and craft supplies as well as office supplies.  It supports our local hospital, saves us money and reuses things that would otherwise end up in landfills.
Addy stuffing a toy cow we made from left over fabric.

Addy and I have painted and repainted this canvas many many times.

Sea creatures and cat (I guess) made from a skirt and a shirt that I was going to take to the thrift store. The skirt had six big blue buttons (octopus eyes) that I am keeping for other projects. Now I look at old clothes with a whole new eye.

1 comment: