Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eating More Greens Thanks to the Food Co-op

Basket of fruits and vegetables from a local food co-op.

Prepping the fruit so that it is easy and convenient to eat.

Prepping the stir fry veggies & herbs and keeping them in canning jars for convenience.
I have really enjoyed being  part of our local food co-op called Bountiful Baskets.  Initially, I thought it was local food but upon further investigation realized that wasn't the case.  The food comes mainly from Arizona, Washington, Utah, California, Idaho, Texas and Mexico. They will however start offering organic fruits and vegetables which I am looking forward too.  The co-op does save you money and fosters the feeling of community.  You get a basket of fruits and vegetables (about 30 lbs) for $15.  In addition you are challenged  to try new things since you never know exactly what fruits and veggies you will get.  I discovered that my family loves turnip fries and that I am the ONLY one in the house that will eat cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment