Thursday, October 18, 2012

Making Mozzarella or Ricotta...

Addy finishing up her mozzarella

My first attempt to make mozzarella turned out a bit more like a mozzarella ricotta hybrid. My second attempt I threw out.  My third attempt was AWESOME.  The key for me was using distilled water. Here are the directions if you would like to give it a try. It is not difficult to do you just have to watch the temperature and make sure you use distilled water!  The other ingredients include whole milk (the less pasteurized the better), rennet and citric acid.  I have used the mozzarella I made on sandwiches, homemade pizza's and lasagna.  Here in Kanab a small ball of mozzarella cheese is a little over six dollars.  I can make double that for the cost of a gallon of milk (about four bucks).  Two years ago a friend was milking one of the local doctors cows and I am thinking that milk would have been perfect for making cheese.  If only I had started making cheese two years ago!
My first attempt


No comments:

Post a Comment