Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fried Zucchini & Squash Blossoms


Can I just say that fried squash flowers filled with goat cheese are so incredibly good that I crave them all the time!  Next year we are planting a ton of squash and zucchini just so I can harvest the flowers.  You can see that one of the flowers is getting the zucchini starting to grow.  Now don't kid yourself - fried squash flowers do not have the same nutritional value as raw squash.  However you might find yourself running out to the garden every morning  to pick the blossoms when they first begin to open.  That running should account for something right? 

Preparing the flower for frying was a bit more labor intensive than I expected.  I watch many videos on pulling out the stamen after confirming which part was the stamen.  This was particularly embarrassing because I taught tenth grade biology.  Luckily, I was right in that the part that I thought was the stamen was the stamen! Whoo hooo. Just recently I read that a zucchini plant produces both male and female flowers. The female flowers will eventually grow into a zucchini, while the male flowers will die off. I don't know if the squash plants are the same.  So if you are growing plants for the zucchinis, make sure to pick only the male flowers to make this recipe. Now I have to Google how to tell the difference between a male and female flower.  I bet my four year old daughter could tell me...

No comments:

Post a Comment