Sunday, July 3, 2011

But I REALLY love seafood...

I love seafood.  When I was a kid my Dad and I shared a love for crab legs and shrimp scampi. Ten years ago got violently ill every time that I ate crab legs.  I know you are thinking why the hell did you keep eating it? Well the first time I thought of it as a bad batch, the second time I cooked it and thought I didn't cook it long enough, the third time I said "to hell with it I am never eating crab legs again!"
Please remember this is a personal blog and I am not trying to be an expert or even an activist.  I just share what I find and explain how I feel about it.
Apparently becoming violently ill turned out to be a blessing in disguise. With all of the horrible devastating fishing practices going on today I would hate the temptation of warm buttery crab legs floating around in my head..  Today I am afraid to eat and buy any of it.  I however don't understand why it would be hard to factory farm fish in a clean and healthy environment?  Why does the water have to be disgusting and full of waste and parasites? These conditions of course lead to the use of antibiotics.  The aqua farmers want to increase the size of the fish FAST (can you say Cha Ching) so they alter the environment (like light).  In addition they rely on drugs and genetic engineering to accelerate growth and change reproductive behaviors. This is exactly the same methods used to factory farm land animals.  The turkeys we eat today are not capable of reproducing the way nature intended and can grow full size in just four months. Oh yippee.

WAIT! Don't stop reading yet.  Is there light at the end of the tunnel?  I'm not sure but there are some resources that I found to help you make informed choices and tell you which fish to steer clear of. Check out http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fish/seafood/guide/     I also added some interesting facts from the  Food and Water Watch site and from the book Eating Animals.
  • Less than 2 percent of imported seafood is inspected.
  • Over 70 percent of domestic shrimp and about 60 percent of domestic oysters came from the Gulf of Mexico prior to the April 2010 oil spill.
The book Eating Animals really opened my eyes on the seafood industry.  These two sentences really hit home for me

"Shrimp account for only 2 percent of global seafood by weight, but shrimp trawling accounts for 33 percent of global bycatch."  What if seafood came with a label such as the following.
"So, with trawled shrimp from Indonesia, for example, the label might read: 26 pounds of other sea animals were killed and tossed back into the ocean for every 1 pound of this shrimp."
I can't imagine eating shrimp again unless I catch it myself.  However there are labels on cigarettes saying it is known to cause cancer and people still smoke...just saying.

I have also wondered about tuna. Everyone was concerned about the killing of dolphins.  Well turns out that not only sea horses and dolphins get caught as "bycatch" but so do 100 sea animal species.

The definition of bycatch varies but it is basically the other species of sea life that fisherman catch but discard because it is not the targeted fish.  I think I am going to research raising my own fish.  With my luck I wouldn't have the heart to kill them and they would become really big and expensive pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment