Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bye Plastic!


When Addy was a baby and we started using bottles and sippy cups the news announced the BPA warnings. Not something an already nervous new mom wants to hear. We did some research and eventually got rid of all the plastic things that weren't BPA free.  Now that she is older we have been microwaving her single serving  mac and cheese. By the way single serving mac and cheese is surely not green.  Talk about extra packaging. I'm not sure if microwaving is green - anyhow that's for another day.  Back to the noodles.  Every time we stuck a plastic "microwave safe" BPA free bowl in the microwave I cringed at the thought of chemicals seeping out. We started using our ceramic bowls (made in China and painted with lead I am sure).  Occassionally I caught my husband heating things in a corner store plastic soda cup.  Really? It would come out warped and half melted and he still didn't see the danger.  So I went to the store to find better bowls and then it dawned on me - glass.  Duh!  Good old fashioned glass bowls.  Growing up we had glass soda bottles, glass ketchup bottles, glass medicine bottles and glass peanut better jars. My husband just reminded me that mustard jars were glass and we both remember the clinking of the knife against the jar. How soon one forgets. I have had a few bowls chip but  I am happy about this because I get to go shopping to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment